Utah State Historical Society Publications
Some recent issues of Utah Historical Quarterly
As part of Utah State History's extensive digitization project publications are now available online.
The Utah State Historical Society has a long and respected history of publishing periodicals and books.
Utah and the Civil War
A bibliography of pertinent articles prior to, during, and after the Civil War in Utah.
Utah Historical Quarterly
Since 1928, when the first volume of the Utah Historical Quarterly was published, the best scholarship on Utah history usually finds its way into the pages of UHQ.
The journal is filled with articles, memoirs, annotated primary sources, book reviews, and photos.
UHQ is published four times yearly and sent to members of the Utah State Historical Society.
- Search online issues
- Join the Utah State Historical Society
- Browse a table of contents for all volumes.
- See info on the current issue.
- See our submission and style guide for information on submitting articles. We seek articles on all aspects of Utah history.
- See our lesson plans. Designed to involve teachers, students, and parents in using the Utah Historical Quarterly to learn more about local, state, and the nation's history.
Utah Centennial County History Series
Recognizing the importance of Utah's counties, the Utah State
Legislature established in 1991 a Centennial History Project to write
and publish county histories as part of Utah's statehood centennial
Published annually from 1974 to 2002, contains short, interesting stories and photos about Utah's past. Beehive History is a good source for student research and can be found in many Utah libraries and schools.
Published monthly from 1995-1996, news of Utah's past from the
Utah State Historical Society.
Utah State Historical Society Miscellaneous Publications
- Brigham Street
- Building by the Railyard
- Carbon County: Eastern Utah's Industrialized Island
- Corinne - The Gentile Capital of Utah
- Emery County: Reflections on Its Past and Future
- First 100 Years: A History of the Salt Lake Tribune
- Let 'Em Holler - A Political Biography of J. Bracken Lee
- Historic Buildings of Downtown Salt Lake City
- Not by Bread Alone: The Journal of Martha Spence Heywood
- Of Work and Romance - Discovering Utah Barns
- On the Ragged Edge: The Life and Times of Dudley Leavitt
- San Juan County, Utah: People, Resources, and History
- The Architecture of Fort Douglas, Utah, 1862-1995
- The Avenues of Salt Lake City
- The Peoples of Utah
To order a hard copy of Utah State Historical Society publications* contact Lisa Buckmiller, phone 801-245-7231.
*Not all publications are currently in print.
Looking for other Utah State History publications? Click here to search all division publications